1. Eiffel Tower, Paris, France
Built in 1889, the Eiffel Tower remains the most well-known tourist destination in Paris, France.
2. Niagara Falls, Canada and United States
Okay so not necessarily under construction but, on March 29, 1848 the flow of water was stopped over both American and Canadian falls due to an ice jam in the upper river. People could walk out on the cliff above the falls for that short period of time!
3. Statue of Christ the Redeemer, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Built in 1922, this statue continues to watch over Rio de Janeiro.
4. Petronas Towers, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
These twin towers took 7 years to complete from 1992-1999.
5. Colosseum, Rome, Italy
So maybe this one wasn't under construction either. But it's neat to see how the Colosseum looks different now than hundreds of years ago! The image to the left is an etching done in 1737 by artist Giovanni Battista. How the times change!
6. Burj Khalifa, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
The world's tallest building to date, it was completed in 2004.
7. Statue of Liberty, New York City, USA
8. Big Ben, London, England
9. Brandenburg Gate, Berlin, Germany
The Brandenburg Gate was being constructed from 1788-1791. It saw some major damage during World War II. Soldiers can be seen here rallying around the gate in 1945.
10. Mount Rushmore, South Dakota, United States
The famous carving took years to complete, under construction from 1927 to 1941.
11. Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco, California
The massive bridge looks a lot different in the 1930s than today! It took four years to build, from 1933-1937.
12. Sydney Opera House, Sydney, Australia
The Sydney Opera House was built in three stages from 1959-1973.
13. Empire State Building, New York City, United States
The iconic building can be seen only half completed here in 1929.
14. CN Tower, Toronto, Canada
For a while, the CN Tower held the title of world's tallest building until 2007. It was constructed in 1976.
15. Hollywood Sign, Los Angeles, California
Few can picture LA without its famed Hollywood sign. However, before 1923 this was just another rolling hill in the state!